Friday, March 20, 2015

The Unexpected

It is now two weeks and one day since my open-heart surgery. Let me share the events of last three few weeks. I woke up with a pain in my chest at about 6 AM on Tuesday 24 February. I waited until Dr.  Miller's office opened and called to describe the pain. The nurse told me to go to the emergency room at Gettysburg hospital. Rather drive myself I called my friend Eric Crump and he was able to take me. I arrived late morning and after x-rays, EKG, etc. the doctor informed me that the issue was my heart and that I would have to go to York Hospital.  With that news I was taken by ambulance to York Hospital. On Thursday 5 March I had open-heart surgery. On March 12 I was transferred to ManorCare rehab center in York, PA. While I was disappointed that I was not returning directly home, I have benefitted from the occupational and physical therapy sessions. In addition to rehab, I also am on dialysis which began two days before my surgery. At this point, the doctor does not know whether I will continue to have dialysis. I'll just wait and see what the tests indicate.

I am impressed by the therapy team here at ManorCare. There are times when I'm not in a pleasant mood but their high energy and commitment to their vocations gets me smiling.

This time of hospitalization and rehab makes me reflect on various parts of life, my life and the church. My prayers times have me humming or reflecting on the words of familiar hymns reminding me of God's unfailing graciousness. In addition to meditating on the Romans 8:31ff texts, I have also used Letters and Papers from Prison of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Although I read the work many years ago, his remarks are helping me in this recuperation period of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment