Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Family and Friends

One of the benefits of being hospitalized is time for reflection. For me, the role of family has been important for recuperation. It is the feeling of belonging. Although I have not lived close to family for decades, I have seen or talked with various strands of the family over the years. During my illness, I have received calls from family wishing me a good recuperation and telling me that they are keeping me in their prayers. This afternoon, my cousin Larry who lives in Philadelphia, came to spend the afternoon. The last time we spent time together was in May 2014 when he, Debra and I were in Paris, France. Larry and I discussed the importance of family that nurtured us.

I have also found that my friends, near and far, have been so supportive. Again, like my family, they have wished me well during my recuperation. Charles and Carolyn of Cleveland, OH have called  to check on my every evening. On Sunday evening, Thelma Williams who is the musician at Advent Lutheran in Cleveland, called. I was thinking about the concerts she put together for the annual Choir Concert when I served Advent. One of the pieces was "Jesus Christ is the Way." During rehab I would remember the words to help calm me. Music is an important part of the ministry of the church.

Let everything that breathes praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord! (Psalm 150, 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment