Monday, March 23, 2015

Connections

I am beginning my 11th day at ManorCare Rehab. The time here has been helpful in making practical connections between my surgery, measured actions, and my life upon returning to my house. At this point, I know that I can manage at home with all of the support from close friends and family.

One of the interesting developments for me during this time of illness has been the connections with family and longimte friends. The telephone calls as well as the visits from family and friends reminded my how my life has been rooted in communal interaction. The depth of the relationships is more than I ever knew.  Charles and Carolyn Jackson, my friends from Cleveland, call me every evening to find out how I am. I received flowers and fruit decor from Gettyburg Seminary, Advent Lutheran Church (the parish I served in Cleveland), Weni from grad school, and Preston and Jean (from grad school). During the pre-op Michael Cooper-White, president of Gettysburg Seminary also came to visit.

I am trying to recall from family and friends but I cannot pinpoint the pre or post-op on the timeline. Jeanie and Robert (my sister and brother-in-law) came the weekend before my surgery and returned the weekend following my surgery. Ricky and Teri (cousin and wife), came to York after the  operation as well. I think that I grew up appreciating strong family ties. These ties certainly are important duirng this period of my life. Hearing from the younger generation in the family (Kianja, Kilolo, Marric, and Martez) reminds me that the Strobert family ties continue to be strong. Patricia Pasqual, my good and longtime friend, took the bus from DC to York to visit me one Saturday when I was in York Hospital.  Bob Musser a classmate who is a pastor in Fox Chapel, PA came to visit me as well. That was a 4 hour trip for a few minutes of conversation. My colleague, Leoanard Hummel stopped by ManorCare to visit me while I on his way to Gettysburg from Baltimore. I am overwhelmed by such gestures.

My Gettysburg connections are stronger than imagined. Anthony and Margaret are Nicastro have kept up with me pre and post op. They also have been able to take in my mail and give me practical advice. They brought me a hospital bag with toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, lotion, cotton tips etc. when I arrived at York Hospital. Crump, Schramm, and Stjerna continue to be an awesome trinity. Stjerna left for Bologne, Italy, a few days after the visit and will return with great cuisine ideas. I look forward to some of the Italian dishes she might prepare and share.

I go through my ups and down feelings but I have to say that the gospel continues to sustain me through the pre and post-operation issues. The gospel that calls us into "mutual conversation and consolation" continues nourish me. Peter Kuhn, Manager of Spiritual life and Education at York Hospital has been a true spiritual guide. Although we have been friends in Gettysburg, his pastoral side has been so helpful to me. He is a gift to public ministry. With Jospeh and Beverly Donnella, I have share good conversations with their visits. Beverley has brought me the eucharist which strengthens me through my ups and downs.  The communal Christian life is powerful. I have talked about the importance that being connected to the outside world has been for me with my iPhone and iPad. Participation in the eucharist has kept me connected with the church catholic. That gives me such strength and hope. In addition, knowing that there are friends and family who continue to pray for me sustains me. I am not in isolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment