Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Day 2014

New Year's Day 2014 finds me at home and fighting a cold. Staying at home on New Year's Eve and Year's day gives me time to reflect on the past year and anticipate the new year. Having retired 11 months ago, 2013 demonstrated a major but important change in my life. The past few months have meant a reorientation to life or as the GPS voice says it has been a time for "recalculating."

Reflecting on the past year, I enjoyed doing the book-talks on Daniel A. Payne, the lecture on Black Civil War Soldiers at the Luther Colloquium in October along with the honorary degree from Payne Seminary in Wilberforce, Ohio, and presiding at the Eucharist at the Spring Convocation at Gettysburg Seminary.



As I anticipate the future, I'm preparing for teaching a Doctor of Ministry - Philadelphia Seminary course "A Way Out of No Way." The course will examine African American religious education. Although I have included portions of African American religious education in my previous courses, this will be the first time for an entire course dedicated to this area of the religious education literature. In addition, I will present some aspects of Daniel A. Payne at the Banneker Center in Baltimore in September. Research will continue to occupy an important part of my time in the coming months. As the research projects unfold I'll share them. For those of you who are researchers/scholars, what are your plans for research?


Reflecting and anticipating at the beginning of the new year , I am thankful to God for supportive family and friends. They have made the transition in retirement a good experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment