Saturday, August 10, 2013

Summer and Spring Musings

It has been some months since my last postings and much has happened in my adjustment to retirement. I'll list my thoughts and highlights of the recent past.

The death of a colleague. Dr. Susan Hedahl, professor emerita died in July from brain cancer. We were both senior members on the Gettysburg Seminary faculty upon our retirements. She was dedicated to her field, homiletics and tried to instill that passion in her students. I will always remember her "Recalculating" sermon in chapel. She had a gift for the English language as well as being able to speak Swahili and Arabic. We often talked about retirement and what we hoped to do. It was an honor to be able to be a lector at her funeral and to sing in the choir led by the composer and music scholar, Nancy Galbraith.

My time in France this spring was particularly memorable in two ways. First, I gave a talk on my Daniel Payne book for Parissoirée on Sunday 26 May. I think it was well received. I am thankful to Patrice LaPlante-Collins for giving me the opportunity to share my research with the group of French and ex-patriots from around the globe. Secondly, I went to Brittany (in western France) to visit my friends, Maryvonne and Christian who live in Erquy. We celebrated our retirements with great eating and champagne. We also took a trip to Mont St. Michel. I had not been inside the abbey in over 40 years. We also went to the grave of Madame Ortensia Reyntjes. The mother of my friend Henri who died nine years ago and the mother-in-law of Maryvonne. Ortensia died in April. She had known me since I was 19 years old during my first trip to France and Brittany in the summer of 1967. She kept the letters I had sent to Henri while in college and in seminary. She also had pictures of me from that time. After Henri's death, I would visit her and Maryvonne each summer. Her grave as well as that of Monsieur Reyntjes is in the town/parish cemetery in St. Méen le Grand where I had worshipped with her. I was certainly blessed to know the Reyntjes family.

On July 14, I ventured down to the Washington Cathedral for evensong. I had not attended evensong there since my seminary days. The reason for going on that Sunday was the fact that St. Matthew-St. Luke Episcopal Church in Brooklyn, New York

I was invited to do a book-signing at Payne Theological Seminary in Wilberforce, Ohio on June 28, 2013. It was a delightful time. My faculty host, Dr. Charles Brown, was very gracious and made me feel a part of the community. I was surprised at the reception by the presence of Ms. Jacqueline Brown, librarian and archivist at Wilberforce University. She was very helpful when I began my research on Payne. In addition, the mayor of Xenia, Ohio was there as well.

The Seminary Ridge Museum opened on July 1. This was an historical event in that the museum is in  Old Dorm which housed wounded soldiers from the first day of the battle at Gettysburg. The governor attended as well a the presiding Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Mark Hanson. The previous day, there was a dinner and vesper service where Bishop Hanson preached. I hope that interest in the museum grows. The museum emphasizes the first day of the Gettysburg battle, the hospital work, the role of religion, and the life of African Americans in the town during the war. Daniel A. Payne was highlighted for being the first African American to attend Gettysburg Seminary and spoke out against slavery during the antebellum period.

On July 14 I attended evensong at the Washington Cathedral. I attended that Sunday as the choir from St. Matthew-St. Luke was there on a bus trip. My sister and brother-in-law was with the group. The guest choir was the Christ Church Cathedral Girls Choir, Lexington, Kentucky. I will have to attend Evensong at the Cathedral more often. It was a delightful Sunday afternoon.

On April 17, I conducted two workshops on Payne for the Annual Spring Convocation at Gettysburg Seminary. I also presided at the Eucharist. It was good seeing seminary classmates and former students.

At the Annual Recognition Dinner at the Seminary, I was given a Gettysburg chair and the faculty and Board minutes upon my retirement were read. It was indeed an honor. I could not have accomplished those years in the teaching ministry without the years of support and prayers from family and the members of Epiphany Lutheran Church in Brooklyn where I was nurtured in the faith. In addition, the members of the Lutheran Churches on St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands and Advent Lutheran Church in Cleveland, Ohio. I have truly been blessed by their presence in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment